[linux-support] downloading and installing a program

Rene Moser mail at renemoser.net
Thu Dec 23 09:15:02 CET 2021

Hi

On 23.12.21 00:25, ge2b at posteo.net wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> And it tells me that in order to write on it I have to become root?
> Or should I give the permission to sudo (it is still me) to write?
> And what about x?
> My understanding is that you should not make changes to root because they are very powerful and definite, and since I don't really know what I am doing I could make a big big mess...

using sudo is to like "temporarily root" so it does not matter to do su
oder sudo "powerful wise":

let me show you:

  $ whoami
resmo

  $ sudo whoami
root

the reason to use sudo is

1. give permission to a normal user to become root
2. don't have to share the root password between users (root user can be
deactivated by not having a password)
3. log who has become root and made changes

Hope that clarifies.

Regards
René