[linux-support] Can't connect to a different WiFi

Markus Wernig wernigm at lugbe.ch
Fri Feb 18 23:56:42 CET 2022

Hi Art

On 2/18/22 22:31, art.funkhouser wrote:
> Hello Markus
> I'm away from home. When I try to connect my Acer to the WiFi here the
> connection ceases after 10 seconds.  Something about MM-tray.  What
> should I do?  I would greatly appreciate your help.  Art

First, I'm sorry there are problems with the computer. I had it running
on two different WiFi networks without any issues.

Second, I strongly repeat my invitation that you subscribe to our
support mailing list:
technical questions there. I alone will not be able to support you with
every possible issue. And I did tell you that Linux was a community
project, right :-) ?

Third, that said, it would be helpful (for me, and for everyone who
reads the support mailing list, should you decide to post there) to know
the exact error condition and error message(s) you are getting.
"Something about MM-Tray" unfortunately is not a very decisive error
description. How did you try to connect to the WiFi?

I will offer up one crystal-ball guess as to what is happening, though:
Could it be that you are trying to connect to the WiFi at the other
place, and it takes about 10 seconds for the system to show you an error
message when failing? Are you positive that the connection is ever
established successfully at all (you should get a popup message if it is)?

Best, Markus

PS: I have sent this reply to our support mailing list as well, so
people are prepared ...

--
Markus Wernig                              🐧
Präsident Linux User Group Bern